Rwandan Ramblings

Wednesday, August 01, 2007


Ringuistic Lifts


“Sorry Maggie, I can’t come round. I’ve come to Kigali because I had a rift”.


I puzzled over this text message, worrying who gentle giant Félix could possibly have argued with and what on earth about. I called him immediately, hoping he’d be able to speak. “Yes Maggie, I left straight away, I was offered a lift”.


Ahhhh. Once again linguistic confusion between Ls and Rs leaves me in the dark.


However, this is not quite as bad nor potentially embarrassing a misunderstanding as happened to one of my friends recently. Her employer was worriedly informing her about just how dangerous he thought the forthcoming nationwide erections in Congo were going to be...



1 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought the R and L problem was confined only to ugandans, obviously not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home