Rwandan Ramblings

Monday, December 11, 2006



"Anyway, this must all sound really pretty dull, compared to what you’re up to".

Wrong. You have no idea how captivating tiny titbits of news have become to me. I am more excited than ever about what the WI were selling at their jumble sale on the weekend, or whether the annoying woman with the big brown hat ever gave her daughter any rest on the coach trip, or whether dessie’s learnt to boil an egg yet, or whether the feuds over church flowers were ever settled or whether a certain football manager has quit again and who’s fault it is this time. True, this might not ever have captivated me before, but because I can imagine the gossiping going on, or my friend’s indignation at not being asked to a certain party, or the hesitation of a friend who’s walking an interview process which will lead him to a career he doesn’t care about, all this becomes fascinating for me. This is why I hate the phrase above which people right way too often in emails to me. This must be dull compared to what you’re up to.

Nope, I get up, I have breakfast, I go to work, I sit in an office, I joke with my colleagues, I have lunch, I go home, I eat dinner, I read, I go to bed. The only difference being that I’m doing this in Rwanda.

So, no more apologies please! Thatcher’s burning down opposite my house on the island was just as exciting for me as for you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home